August 21, 2011

My Decision About Homework in SBG

Standards Based Grading does not do homework.  The #1 principle is that homework is practice and should not be graded.  See my other post about this.  However, the students I teach present a different challenge.  Some, if not most, are not motivated.  They just want to get a good grade and move on.  This means they put just enough effort.  That's one part of why I want to do SBG - I hope it will challenge them to learn, not just tell me what I want to hear.

Now to the homework million dollar question - to give or not to give?  More specifically, to grade or not to grade.  That was the big question.  If our students don't have to do it, they won't.  I do believe that.   After reading about how others did not give homework and talking with other teachers I work with (since we know our students best), I decided on a happy (I hope) medium.  I have taken the leap and will not grade homework.  However, I still will give them "practice" problems/questions.  This will be completely optional for them.

To encourage them to do it, I've decided to implement a positive reinforcement system.  I will track their homework using a spreadsheet.  They'll get a check for each assignment they do - completely ungraded.  I'll tie it into the incentive program I've developed and will ask them to help me finish it the first week of school.   The incentive program I think for now will be in the form of "money."   This blog post gave me some ideas and I'm going to give 1 cent (dollar?) for each check they earn regarding homework.  Other things I think I'm gonna include are organization, a Wow factor (something along the lines of "I really like what you did there"), and for acts of kindness that are not your usual polite manners.  It'll be up to them how to use the money they earn.  I usually like to have students give me input for the incentives - when its something they want, they'll work harder for it.  I just have to develop a fair system - not too easy to get something they want, but not too hard.  At the same time, they can practice money skills.

Now to be careful not to fall into the trap of "I did the practice" when they just make up stuff just to get the check.  I'll have to watch this carefully to see how effective it'll be.  Any of you have any ideas or suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. what can they use the "money" for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I developed some incentives but as I stated, I will have them give me input as well. They will use the money to purchase these incentives - such as free time on the computer, a can of soda, etc. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My students are the same way. They do the absolute minimum possible. Last year, I started teaching about how their brain works like a muscle, they have to work it out (related it to football practice for my football players). But, honestly, I still was not very successful. This year, I am trying a new approach with "gamifying" my classroom. My points are actually Experience Points, which they will earn badges for and be able to level up. I'm using the Edmodo platform as a central place to record everything (as well as their blogs). I think we all just have to figure out what works with each student. As I am sure you will find with your children, no two are exactly alike. I have to treat each of mine differently. And we do in the classroom as well. Good luck and keep us posted on your success.

    ReplyDelete