August 23, 2012

Back From Cyberspace!

Hi all....

   After navigating (ok, getting lost in) the world of SBG last year, I am back again and have resolved to try updating more frequently this year.  Clearly I did not know what I was getting into with 5 classes and 5 different preps and installing an SBG grading system and not giving homework. All of these definitely challenged me as a teacher and students as well. I saw positive and negative results last year, but more of the former that is encouraging me to continue to use this strategy this year with tweaking and experimenting, of course.

   Positive results:
  • Students had increased awareness of their learning responsibilities
  • Students wanted to improve their recall of information, which led to discussion of study strategies and looking for apps to use
  • Grades more accurately reflected knowledge of content and skills
  • Less time spent on grading
  • More time spent on developing ideas or giving students feedback
  • Student knows exactly what they did or did not understand
  • More parent involvement
  • Giving parents a realistic picture of their child's abilities

   Negative results:
  • Students had a hard time adjusting to high accountability
  • Frustrated students because couldn't give evidence they understood the concept or skill
  • I wasn't sure where student independence begins and I end
  • Didn't see many students come in after school as I would have liked
   Jury still out:
  • Overall, scores were lower. Is this because of SBG's increased accountability? Student motivation? Poor performance on my part? Not giving homework?
  • Is the SBG I developed a fair way to assess?

Gonna stop for today, but I will have another post within a few days about goals for the year, personal and professional. In the meantime, I hope to be a better poster/reflector on this blog and other blogs as well.

Best wishes to all of you starting another school year!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more of your reflections and goals. Let me know if/how I can help! :)

    ReplyDelete